THE FIGHT FOR RESOURCES:
It was not only the fight for land that led to colonialism, but there was also a desire for natural resources and labor.:
- The colonialist countries needed raw materials to support their growing economies.
- America offered natural resources they could be used for manufacturing and as well as opened up new markets to sell their goods.
The colonies that became the USA were colonies of Great Britain. By the time the American Revolution took place, the citizens of these colonies were beginning to get tired of the British rule because the British ruled to their own contempt:
- Rebellion and discontent were rampant.
- For those people who see the change in the American government and society a real Revolution, the Revolution is essentially an economic one.
- The main reason the colonies started rebelling against ‘mother England’ was the taxation issue.
- The colonies debated England’s legal power to tax them and, furthermore, did not wish to be taxed without representation.
LIBERTY, & INDEPENDENCE:
The British didn’t help them fulfil these rights. Such as:
- Slavery would not be abolished for another hundred years
- Women’s rights
- Women weren’t allowed to vote, go to school, and have any other basic rights
- Religious life
- People weren’t able to practice their religion freely.
- Voting wasn’t fair for Americans
HOW AN AMERICAN WOULD FEEL:
- British having full power in America will affect the identity of Americans because they make their own rules and regulations and Americans would have to follow them. If Americans disobey they would get punished and they would have no say in the politics and the government. They would treat Americans with any respect and even continued to treat some people(slaves) like animals